Wednesday, June 22, 2005

School Lunch and Club Activities

Next, it was time for lunch. A neat thing about Japanese schools is that the students eat in the classrooms with a teacher everyday. They just arrange the desks into little groups of six and then the students help to serve the food. They had a school lunch ready for me, and even instructions in English of how to eat it. I attached a picture below. The green sheets are seaweed. The way you eat it is to place a piece of seaweed in your hand, then put some rice on it, and then a piece of meat or vegetable. Although it doesn't seem like it should be, the lunch was really good. It is one of the favorite schools lunches for these Japanese students. After lunch the kids clear away the dishes and trash and have a short recess time where they could talk with their friends in the classrooms or hallways. I ended up arm-wrestling two students (I was 2-0!) before I told them my arm was tired! I did not want to take-on the entire school! I had a good time talking with the students and enjoying their company. They were all excited to try some English, and did a great job. They were not fluent, but knew quite a bit, which was impressive for junior high school students. After recess the students actually clean the school for about ten minutes. Supposedly they do most of the cleaning that the school requires. After this we had a discussion with some of the teachers and then we got to observe the club sports after school. They have some interesting ones like Japanese archery, martial arts, and cricket. They also have the classic activities like band, baseball, basketball, tennis, volleyball, track, etc. I went out and played some tennis with some of the boys and girls for a little while. They play on clay or sand courts with rubber balls. I did not get to stay long, but the students looked pretty good. After all of this, we departed the school and went on a short excursion to the Pacific Ocean. Then, it was back to out hotel. Myself and some others went to the laundry to clean some clothes and then ate dinner. Tomorrow we are visiting an elementary school.

9 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! You are having so many experiences and seeing so much!!! Will this be on a power point presentation? I can see Grandpa lining you up for the Lions Club.
Andrea is home from Spain and busy with 4-H.
Love, MOM

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll armwreslte the rest for you

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll armwreslte the rest for you

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger Mark Heiden said...

Thanks Matt....I may need you tomorrow at the high school!

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im always their too! Matt, how is your new house?

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Heiden! Gma and pa have enjoyed reading the blog with me. Gma says the Reds are winning now that they got a new manager. Gpa says you still need to bring home 2 good pitchers. Aunt Nancy says --- Keep working on that special mission!
Love, Aunt Nancy

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you and Ms. Young should have the children experience Japanese culture by having seaweed sandwiches for lunch. Yummmm. I'm sure I could organize some parents to help out with that! :)))

(as Nicholas and the other kids wrestle me to the ground to shut me up...)

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Mark Heiden said...

I think seaweed sandwiches are a great idea. I will have to find seaweed that is as sweet at the stuff I had. I have heard that they kind we get in the States is not as good.....

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't beleive they had to clean up the school for ten min.!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home