Sunday, June 19, 2005

Visiting Harajuku and the Tokyo Museum

Harajuku is known for its famous Meiji Shrine, and for the youth that gather here dressed-up in crazy outfits. Both are a great reason to visit this area. The shrine was really neat, but the best part was witnessing several Japanese weddings. I have attached a picture of one procession below. We did get to see all of the Japanese young dressed-up in everything from goth (all in back with crazy face paint, etc.) to Little Bo Peep costumes. They all gather there to see and be seen. They usually have a bag of their regular clothes so they can change before they get back home to their parents! After this we boarded the subway again to visit the Edo-Tokyo Museum. It is a museum that shows Tokyo history, including when it was Edo. The name was changed to Tokyo when it was named the capitol of Japan. It was a good place to visit. After all of this we made it back to the Asasaka area where I grabbed some McDonalds hamburgers for dinner. Tomorrow morning we leave via bus and train and then another bus for Tokaimura, Ibaraki. I will be spending the next week there with nineteen of my colleagues visiting schools and learning about the area. Tomorrow we visit Ibaraki University before having the evening to ourselves.

6 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger Mark Heiden said...

I had sushi this evening and I had some sashimi this afternoon--both were really good. The sushi I had tonight was california roll....so, I can eat certain sushi, just not eel!

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A california roll does not have fish in it, if I remember correctly, as I am the adventurous eater in the family...and adventurous dresser too...Mr. Lands End

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Mark Heiden said...

Linda: These did have meat, we ordered the ones without eel because they are much better tasting. And, FYI, my Lands' End Teflon chinos are holding up very well after being worn for something like 8 days!

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you won't suffer the shame of wrinkled pants.

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do they have McSushi at McDonalds?

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Mark Heiden said...

They don't have sushi at McDonalds--at least not the two that I have been to. The menu is very similar to the American menu at McDonalds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home