Monday, June 13, 2005

Leaving for Japan today

The plane for Japan departs at 1:35 local time (3:35 PM Indiana CST) today from the San Francisco International Airport. It will be about a 12 hour flight to Tokyo Narita International Airport. Because of the International Date Line, which we will cross, we will lose a day and arrive on Tuesday the 14th at about 4:30 PM. Coming back I will actually leave Japan and then arrive in LAX before I left because of crossing the International Date Line coming the other way. The flight back will also be shorter because of the jet stream.

After arriving in San Francisco on Sunday morning, I met-up with a lot of other JFMFers and we took a bus to our hotel, the Sheraton Gateway Hotel. I had a few minutes to eat lunch before I had to get dressed-up to attend the orientation meetings all afternoon and evening, culminating with a banquet at 7 PM. The Japanese Government really has treated us in a first class way! Once the dinner was over and I was free for the evening, I met-up with a friend of mine from Alexandria-Monroe High School, Nathaniel. He now lives in San Francisco and took me on quite a tour of the city. I got to see a trolley car in action, the Golden Gate Bridge, an incredible garden with pillars and a dome, extremely nice and expensive houses (10 million $ plus!), the beach, the famous Trans-America (pyramid) building, the Bay Bridge, and even Alcatraz. Once I got back to my room I got some sleep and now I am ready to begin my journey across the Pacific. I have included a nighttime shot of the Golden Gate Bridge below.

5 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mark, it sounds like you are already having quite the adventure. kevin informed me of your trip and that you would be posting messages here. i look forward to hearing more about your trip. we are thinking of you and wishing you safe travels! have a wonderful time! jenn (and kevin)

 
At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the photo of the Golden Gate Bridge! It would have been great for 4-H. Your sister is in Spain.
Love, MOM

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Heiden --- Your trip sounds great so far. Don't you love San Francisco??? It's so much like Alexandria! Love the picture of the Golden Gate Bridge. I have sailed under it!!

Aunt Nancy

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, just wanted to let you know that the Stereophonics are playing a bunch of dates in Japan right now. If you have a chance, you should check them out (again). Their website has the dates listed in the tour section. Or, if you have time, give me a call/e-mail if you can and I'll get the dates for you. Sorry for posting this here...didn't know how else to get hold of you!

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Mark Heiden said...

Thanks Greg and all for your comments....I will keep my eyes open for the Stereophonics . . . Too bad U2 isn't here!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home