Friday, June 17, 2005

Mathematics Instruction in Japan

The mathematics session was very interesting for a number of reasons. First, it was neat to hear about the way mathematics instruction has changed throughout the last few years. There has been quite a bit of reform towards helping Japanese students enjoy math because although Japanese students still do well in math comparisons with other countries, they do not like math as the Japanese government feels they should. This is a concern for the Japanese society. Also, the Japanese education officials keep an eye on American trends and do mimic some of the changes (such as textbooks becoming thicker and fuller of pictures and colors). We in America tend to believe that Japanese students are far ahead of American students, particularly in math. This is probably not as true as we may believe, although certainly Japanese students do out-perform American students on international tests. When I looked at a second grade Japanese math book, it was only slightly ahead of an American second grade textbook. For instance, Japanese students learn subtraction with borrowing in second grade, whereas American students tend to learn this in third grade. So, the Japanese students do learn things slightly earlier. Also, I think that more Japanese students take advanced subjects like calculus in high school than do American students. I have included a picture of the mathematics session presenter, Mr. Nagasaki. He is a very well respected and influential person in mathematics instruction in Japan.

4 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't second graders learn to do very simple borrowing like 40-29? Wow, are you seeing and doing a lot!!! I have copied all 15 pages of the blog for your grandparents. The Mail Station can't pick it up. Is it called a bullet train because it goes very fast? We are enjoying the blog very much!!

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I definitely had the perception that Japanese students receive a more rigorous education. Did you learn about what their day is like? How is it different from your classroom over here?

I told Nicholas' dad about your experience with sushi (eel) and he groaned. He likes sushi, but I guess eel is not the best introduction :)

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Mark Heiden said...

Some second graders do use some regrouping/borrowing in subtraction in second grade, but usually it is just introduced. Mastery comes in third grade in the USA. In Japan mastery is during second grade (I think--they didn't tell me that specifically). The Japanese do learn things earlier, but not that much earlier than their American counterparts.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Mark Heiden said...

Laura: I will get to visit an elementary school, lower secondary school, upper secondary school, and a university next week. I will really get to see what a day of school is like during those trips. I will even get to meet with a PTA and with lots of teachers and principals. This will all happen in Tokaimura, the city that my group will be leaving for tomorrow. I hope to learn a lot more about Japanese education during the next week. Oh, yes, I will not eat the eel again, but maybe I will try something else.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home