Saturday, June 18, 2005

Touring Kyoto

Once we arrived in Kyoto, we walked to a local hotel to meet-up with our bus tour group. The tour is for an English speaking guide and trips to six major sites in Kyoto. The tour also included lunch and the opportunity to shop at the Kyoto Handicraft Center. In the morning we saw the Ninomaru Palace. This is a famous old palace that has 'nightingale floors.' These are floors that squeak intentionally to let the Shogun know if anyone was approaching. We saw one other shrine and then we visited The Golden Pavilion/Rokuon-Ji Temple. It was a breathtaking sight with the gold standing-out against beautiful gardens. I included a picture of it below. After touring the three sites, we had lunch at the top of the Kyoto Handicraft Center and then worked our way down the floors shopping. I bought several items here for gifts and spent more money than I had intended, but I have most of the souvenirs and gifts purchased now.

3 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Mark Heiden said...

I agree...you being the middle child have had life so tough... I mean, you didn't just get back from Spain a while ago....

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Mark Heiden said...

To my students: Please ignore the siblings arguing!

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to pay for Spain myself, and I only got a week there because I was finishing my master's degree...which I am finished with...unlike some people I know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home